Being Healthy is not that hard. In fact, it’s easy.
Here’s a nod to Nike. They may have come up with the best saying of all time….”Just Do It”… and there you have it. Its that simple. I can hear you saying, “What? But the truth is it is that simple and the big trick to simple is to keep “Doing it”.
We’re going to go through some “Tricks” to “Keeping it Simple”. Yes, that’s the K I S S acronym without the extra S – it’s not needed here. Lets start with the word Healthy. Healthy does not mean Big and Buff or Skinny is Beautiful. The word healthy has a wide range but the meaning we’ll be using here is the way most of us think of it – possessing or enjoying good health or a sound and vigorous mentality: a healthy body; a healthy mind. (dictionary.reference.com/browse/healthy) Let’s get to Keeping it Simple:
1. Eat better. Eating better is one of the quickest ways to start and is very simple to do. Information is everywhere nowadays. Turn on TV and there’s always someone giving advice; from Dr. Oz to any of the of the cooking stations. Google it and you’ll find page after page with links to more links and most of it will say what you’ve been hearing for how long now? Fruits, vegetables, protein & whole grains. Now instead of explaining the this and that’s we’re going to just give you an Easy way to Eat Better that anyone can follow.
- Breakfast (one of) – A Smoothie – Oat Meal – 1 or 2 Eggs/slice of Whole grain toast/fruit
- Snack – fruit, protein bars, yogurt (if your trying to lose weight snacks should be no more than 200 cal. and even better around 100)
- Lunch – K I S really works well here. One of (or a small combination of) – Sandwich, Vegi plate, Yogurt, Smoothie, Salads (dressing is the culprit here)
- Snack – same as above
- Dinner – is like lunch; pretty simple – 1/2 of your plate should be some form of vegetables & salad. Add a protein (generally the size of your palm)
And there you go…you’re now eating healthier and nothing your mom hasn’t told you before and almost everyone else.
Here’s a couple of breakfast tips – is Time an issue? Make a fast smoothie – frozen fruit1/2 cup -1 to 2 oz. grapefruit juice – plain yogurt 1/4 cup – crushed ice or cold water- protein powder / blend – your out the door in about 5 min.
Need more than a smoothie in the morning? Oatmeal will do the trick. 5 minute Old Fashion Whole Grain Oatmeal – prepare oatmeal per instructions. When ready, instead of sugar, replace with Honey, Agave nectar or dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc) milk.
OK… on to step 2 – step 2 takes far less time to go through. Get Moving! And, again, this is simple.
- Have a treadmill? Get on it.
- Have some walking or running shoes? Put ‘em on and get outside.
- Have a pool or one near you? Get in it and do some laps.
- Play Golf? Walk the course. Is 18 holes too far? Leave the cart after the 9th and walk 10-18.
Remember those sports you used to play? Handball, basketball, tennis? These are excellent ways to get you moving again.
The big trick here is that there is no trick. It’s just a matter of doing it. Biking, walking, running, swimming 20 minutes every other day or 3 times a week; enough to break a sweat and you’ll be doing it… gettin’ Healthy.
Below are a few helpful links:
Start your Pilates workout today on a Total Gym® XLS